Thursday 7 April 2016

Review: Safe Haven by Sheri Lyn

Author: Sheri Lyn
Publication Date: 12th January 2016
Genres: M/M , Crime Thriller
 Nothing in Phoenix’s life ever went right. He never knew where his next meal would come from or if he would be safe going home at night. Desperate to escape, he trusts the wrong person. A different kind of evil wrapped in hope led him into the claws of a prison he might not survive. 

Gryphon took a chance on a new life and ended up a captive. To his shock, he wasn’t alone. Twenty boys experimented on physically and mentally, few would ever see the light of day again. 

A family forged in the fires of hell. Escape came, but at the price of losing more of themselves than they realized. They must depend on each other and new friends. No-one is expecting to find love, but love may find them anyway. 

Their mission is clear: Find the people who did this to them and destroy them. 

But some missions aren't always so cut and dry...

4 Stars
What an amazing start to this series!!
The book starts with a 17-year-old boy called AJ, having the upbringing from hell. The emotions you get from this book from the very beginning are so strong (some scenes may be triggers). You can't help but feel for AJ, but he is such a strong character even through years of abuse he's managed to keep up with school, working two jobs to keep the roof over his & his mothers head (not that she deserves it) struggling through life till he can leave school & move on. But events change when his mom's boyfriend jumps him again. This time AJ has the upper hand with a piece of concrete in his hand and knocks the man unconscious. Fearing what will happen next, AJ takes advantage of an offer from his principal, to escape early to join a special group, AJ thinking it's something to do with the military leaves telling no one. What he doesn't know is that he is just moving from one Hell to the next... will he ever survive?

Jump to 17 years later AJ finds himself back in his home town with his partner Gryph, & AJ no longer goes by that name but by Nix feeling that AJ died a long time ago. Thinking no one would recognise him but he's wrong when the one person he looked up to a teacher called Josh Hagrin is still living there & spots him straight away. What transpires next is a rollercoaster of emotions from finding out what happened when he left & what happened to not just him but 30 boys that were all placed in a institute is heartbreaking & finding out that only 8 boys managed to survive that hell. 
Phoenix, Gryphon, Ghost, Raven, Thanatos, Cratus, Odin & Chaos  

They are now looking to find the people responsible & seek justice for themselves & their fallen brothers. We find out that all the boys had a some what similar upbringing & were promised a better life & that all the boys are gay. Since escaping hell they have all vowed to help struggling children & family's of missing children so they don't end up in the same situations.
"We are not our past, we are what we make of our tomorrows!"
I loved & respected Josh in they way he accepted Nix & all the brothers as his family & he vowed to help as well as his son Kylen. 
"First off, I want to welcome my sons home"
Even though this is Nix & Gryph's book all the side characters are important & just as intriguing & the bond between this group of 8 men is so amazing. I'm looking forward to what happens with their story's.
The love is so evident between Nix & Gryph but with the upbringing they have had they are so unsure of themselves. The build up to them actually coming together as a couple was written beautifully. "I love you Phoenix, now and always," "I love you, too, Gryphon, forever and infinity."
Sheri Lyn has wrote a story filled with suspense and twists and turns, but she wrote about survival. She wrote about the ability to stay strong when s*** hits the fan and things are at their worst. I absolutely love the determination in these men. She does a lot more than you come to expect with this story. There's action, suspense, and romance. The sex scene alone is worth its weight in gold ;) but even without it her book is worth every penny and every hour you spend reading. I would most definitely recommend this book.
Hi I'm Sheri Lyn. I live in Florida with the love of my life, my dog Koda a Corgi/Dwarf Chow mix. I love living here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. 

I just started my journey into the indie book world. I have books in several genres in the works. I'm an avid reader who kept dreaming of a story that wanted to be told and that's where my first book was born.

When I'm not reading or proofing, I'm at the evil day job where my sanity is tested on a daily basis. My sarcastic quips can provide a much needed break until I can return home to Koda and books, my two joys.

I hope you sign up for my newsletter for excerpts, giveaways and fun.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© MillsyLovesBooks. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.